Animal Technician - Genetic Quality
ANIMAL TECHNICIAN – Genetic Quality Specialist
The Malaghan Institute is New Zealand’s largest independent health research organisation, with around 80 staff dedicated to finding cures for diseases using the body’s own immune system.
Our Biomedical research unit (BRU) is responsible for providing specialised rodent breeding services to the wider institutes research initiatives. An opportunity has opened to join the team.
This role is mainly focused on the care of mice, with approximately 10 hours a week devoted to focusing on genetic quality. It is important to note that aspects of this role are physical and can be repetitive, however this role sits within a supporting team that is made up of energetic, interesting people to keep things lively.
What this role entails:
- Day-to-Day care of the mice. Regular routine of animal husbandry and health checking.
- Cleaning and maintaining of equipment, ensuring all standards and procedures are followed.
- Providing expertise in genetics and strain maintenance.
- Providing excellent service to the research groups.
What you must be able to bring to the role:
- A strong interest in animal care.
- Be physically fit, this role requires a lot of time on your feet.
- Great personality and attitude towards working hard. Including flexibility to occasionally work weekends and overtime.
- Ability to work well and contribute within a close, small team environment
- An ability to follow detailed procedures within a strict regulatory environment.
- Prior experience or training in the field of genetics (experience in murine strains a definite bonus)
It would be of a great advantage if you have experience in the following:
- Experience of maintaining the condition of genetic strains through PCR or Flow Cytometry.
- Previous experience in a scientific facility.
What we offer in return:
- Base salary of $38,000 - $43,000, with annual performance/pay reviews.
- Overtime allowance for weekend work.
- Great team to work in, with opportunities to progress
- Supportive environment within great facility in Kelburn