The Malaghan Institute of Medical Research is New Zealand’s leading independent biomedical research institute, with a focus on breakthrough discoveries in immunology and immunotherapy. We have around 100 staff committed to finding cures for diseases using the body’s own immune system.
We are seeking an energetic and resilient Technical Cleaner to join our close-knit team in the Biomedical Research Unit (BRU). The BRU is responsible for providing specialised rodent breeding services to the wider Institutes' research initiatives. This role is an integral part of the team, with key duties of cleaning cages, equipment and rooms in the facility. You will work alongside our team of animal technicians and facilities staff to ensure that all equipment is clean and available for use when it is required.
This exciting opportunity is designed for a reliable and flexible person, one who fits well within a cheerful and easy-going team. Our ideal candidate will be thorough and have a high-attention to detail.
This is a full-time role working 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with the need for occasional overtime and weekend work.
Knowledge and Experience:
It would be of a great advantage if you have experience in the following:
- Previous experience in a scientific/highly regulated environment, particularly biomedical
- Experience operating autoclaves and laboratory cleaning techniques
- Attention to detail, with the ability to follow a set schedule and standards
- Hard-working attitude, including flexibility to occasionally work weekends and overtime.
- Ability to contribute within a close, small team environment.
- Physically fit, as this role requires a lot of time on your feet
- Cleaning of the BRU facilities and equipment to required standards
- Assisting Animal technicians in the animal rooms when required
- Supporting other BRU tasks as required
- Opportunities to support and engage in life-saving projects
- A supportive team culture
- Exposure to a unique research environment working with highly driven scientists and support staff
- Training and development opportunities to support you in your career with us, with potential for career progression
- Employee Assistance Programme – confidential, professional services which can support and guide you through your personal or work challenges
- An excellent location, with great offices at Victoria University in Kelburn offering a great supply of cafes and other amenties
- Access to a range of services from Victoria University’s Research library
- Base salary of $40k - $45k depending on experience
How to Apply:
If you share the Malaghan Institute’s passion for curing disease, and think you’d be a valuable addition to our BRU team, apply now by sending your cover letter and CV. Applications close 15 June 2019 for an immediate start. Interviews will be held throughout should the right candidate apply. Don’t wait, apply today!
Applicants must have the legal right to work in New Zealand.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.